Sunday 15 May 2011

Miserable wet Sunday in May and a bit of a book review ( slagging off more like)

I HATE the weather. I HATE this miserable grey horrible overcast wet weather. I hate the fact I can't get my washing dry. I CANNOT STAND this weather. Everything is damp and everything is like a damp squib. I've even left my crucial operations post as Tom Hanks goes to his certain doom up in space. ( I know, I know the ending but I still hold my breath for like 30 minutes as we all wait to see if they make it back) as I couldn't settle. I have knit some more of the jumper - I know why I don't do knitting for grown ups - I feel like it's sucking my very soul away. What a whinge bag I am!!!

So the book. Well, I had read the reviews.
Looks very promising....

The cover appealed..
.
Appealing Cover






However, it has taken me three, long, reluctant weeks to get through this book. in my humble opinion, it was UTTER PANTS. I didn't like HOW it was written. The structure didn't sing to me. I didn't laugh ONCE, not even a wry smile made it onto my face. I have this thing that once I start a book, I HAVE to read it. Maybe it's because it said it is "critically acclaimed" wtf does that mean anyway? Whoever was acclaiming - critically or otherwise obviously like different books to me! It was a long, hard slog. I didn't connect with the characters at all. What is wrong with me?! I have liked "critically acclaimed" stuff before. I LOVED the curious incident of the dog in the night or what ever it was called....tee hee.

Prizes | The Bookseller

Mark Haddon's critically acclaimed novel The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time has won this year's Guardian Children's Fiction Prize. ...
www.thebookseller.com/category/tags/prizes?page=67&quicktabs_1...
 See it even says so when you google it...

Anyhoo now I can't get the effin italics to switch off. It's probably the damp getting to my laptop. 

I wonder if Flowers in the Attic were ever critically acclaimed......( goes off to google it!)

 POPPED BACK - I did google it! WOW lookee here - this is a right riveting read!!!
OOOOOOOOOOO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for taking the time to read my words and respond with your own thoughts. I always try to reply so make sure you pop back to see!