Thursday 4 February 2016

Royal World Book Day

I've just left a comment on 'Life at No. 38's blog about this. It's Royal because there's the need for me to put a 'King' in front of every word! 
King WBD is a pain in the King bottom. Poor frazzled parents up and down the land having to make King costumes at a monent's notice ( even though it's March every year!! ). That's the dedicated parents mind, the ones who actually bother to read books with their children. 
The reality is most of the children at school come dressed as a Disney Princess or Captain Jack Sparrow. Or whatever costumes Asda are selling. Also, these costumes are flimsy and it's usually freezing on March 2nd. So last year, we really did have a lot of Frozen Elsa's and Ana's! 

 Some parents go the extra mile. I remember one little soul having an epic temper tantrum one year ( he's now long left and I'm hoping the scars have faded and he doesn't do it to his own children ) because other children were staring at him. He had come as a full on, day-glo orange, green shiny suit, attention to detail incredible Oompa Loompa! 
The year after, he came as a bunch of grapes. I kid ye not. I can't even remember the storybook he was from. He had on a purple unitard and attached to him were purple balloons in the classic shape of a bunch of grapes, his face was purple and he wore a green beret with a giant stalk on it. He had an epic temper tantrum because his balloons kept bursting! That poor wee tortured soul! 

As staff, we at school are expected to join in the king fun. I generally don't. I'm that kind of rebellious soul. Plus I think it's important to support those children who don't want to dress up, but mostly for those children who do, but whose parents for whatever reasons can't or don't let them join in! 

Anyway I have knitting news! Sleeve 1 is complete. Only the back, front, other sleeve and neck to do!!! So far it's taken me 
6 hours 38 mins for part 1
7 hours 29mins for part 2
So 14 hours and 7 minutes so far! 

The HG might well be long into retirement age by the time it's finished! It's knit on 3.75 needles !!

Lots of love from 
Rachel *knitting frenzy* Radiostar xxx










14 comments:

  1. Oh, I don't time myself when I knit - I am not sure if that would make me knit faster or dispirit me! I have never knitted anything (apart from one pair of socks) for OH as he is 6ft 6 tall and 'husky' - or as he puts it 'carrying a bit of timber' - it would take forever! Even his socks took much longer than socks for me with his huge size 12 feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I ever have, only for my own curiosity!!! My HG is XXL too!

      Delete
  2. I used to love making costumes for my children's book days and nativities etc and was so looking forward to doing the same for my grandchildren. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the done thing now. As you say....whatever the supermarkets are selling in the way of costumes seems to be the way to go now...how sad.
    I do love the colour of the wool you are using-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wanted it in a steel blue really, but the only shade we liked was one of the WI ones and it'd have cost £80 plus even on offer!! No flipping way!

      Delete
  3. I never did. I used to pay my pound or whatever anyway! :-)
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. 14 hrs and 7 mins of love though!
    Do one in chunky next time, much quicker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time with this pattern so I tend to stick closely first time. IF there's ever a next time, then chunky wool on massive needles!!

      Delete
  5. Feeling smug here Rachel, because the Greek costume is done. I can't think what book the grape boy would have been from either, how on earth did he manage to sit down at his desk? You should run a book on how long your knitting will take :) Intrigued as to why the sleeve has to be knitted in 2 parts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be classified into the good parents list!! The sleeve is like that because of the styling! I'll show a photo of the model next post!

      Delete
  6. I started knitting a jumper back last year, I must find it out, unpick what I did and start again. I always knitted when the girls were young, these days the wool is so very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find some good bargains in charity shops etc and online, but normally the exact one you want is never in the sale!

      Delete
  7. Is it that time of year again already? Sigh. Haven't a clue what I'll pull out of the bag this year, I fear they've all grown out of the Burglar Bill outfit. I favour the books with an Ordinary Boy in them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. before I forget, photos in previous post - amazing. Gorgeous sky.

    I had WBD. Can't help it, I just do. Violet never knows what to go as. She likes the Rainbow Magic, Ever After High, and more recently Jacqueline Wilson books. So there, what to dress as from that lot? There isn't really a specific noticeable character to choose. other than wearing wings, or very high and chunky heels in the EAH characters, nothing much to 'dress up' with.

    Last year they had a 'dress as someone who inspires you' day. Give me strength. I can't even remember what she wore or who it was that was meant to inspire her. I suggested she go as me, in fake fur and sunglasses, and just being fabulous, but she rejected that idea. Good to know I inspire her so much! One girl went dressed in a massive skirted princess outfit (one of the Asda type ones), and by the end of the grey and rainy day, it was totally wrecked.

    So I am hoping against hope that Violet's school don't bother with the dressing up part this year. I can well do without all the drama it creates!
    x

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to read my words and respond with your own thoughts. I always try to reply so make sure you pop back to see!