Friday 17 August 2018

Experimental post

If you read the PS, if this works, I have written a post on my iPad notes app and it is a repeat of the Bluebell post because I have puppy brain and totally forgot I'd posted!!

Diary of a puppy bore

Well, We brought home our little bundle of floof home with us on Saturday 28th July. It was tipping it down and I'd taken an old towel with me which was a good thing. The puppies wee from a one off mating between two working pedigree Springer Spaniels and lived outside in spacious professional kennels. They'd been separated from the mother to give her a rest though lived next door! That sounds harsh reading it back - they were still with the mum but she had a separate kennel. Anyway, I was giddy beyond belief. The three remaining puppies were let out to frolic in the garden in the rain. I made sure I fussed the mum and the other older dogs he had and the puppies. I was wet and filthy as was Little Miss Bluebell Flowers to give her her full title. So we had a huge cardboard box on the back seat with a towel in and a little toy and she sat on my knee and I swaddled her in the towel. She was wet and trembly and terribly, terribly, terribly oh my eye watering stars, STINKY!!! After a while she fell asleep on my knee and we set off on the two hour drive home. But we arranged to meet Miss 24 and Freddie before we set off properly. Miss 24 was in love, Freddie was excited to see us and looked HUGE but was quite indifferent to the smaller version of himself. 
721988FA-756D-4C30-A2F3-00C6228C2E86.jpg
To be honest, I think it could have been the revolting smell that was putting him off. She stank to the highest of heavens!! 
We said our goodbyes and left to go home. I started taking the billions of photos of her that are clogging up my phone!! 
008FED95-1248-432E-B42C-1CC6DC417D94.JPG
Once home, we took her straight into the garden and she did a wee and a poo. Then she came in and promptly killed two black socks that were a danger lying in wait outside the washing machine! Then sniffed everywhere that she could sniff and within half an hour it was like she'd never lived anywhere else. 
185DCE62-D6B7-42FA-B65E-0AAD87189EBE.JPG
As I actually sit down to finish and publish this, she is 11 weeks old today and is fast asleep ( hooray for the respite )stretched out flat on her back, spotty tummy for all to see and one front paw pointing skywards! How this is comfortable I do not know! 
Anyway, her first night. The HG was off out and we had done a LOT of research on what to do. We bought a beautiful black crate, with a comfy sheepskin mat included for free. I'd been wearing one of my too big for me now jersey dresses ALL week and slept in it a few times. I had too flattened old pillows unwashed off our bed and as soon as we got back I changed into this dress and stuffed a big soft piggy toy down my bra so when I held her, her smell ( stench actually - eye watering - did I mention?? ) was intermingled with all the others!! I wrapped one of the pillows in the dress and put it at one side of the crate and put the towel she'd come home in at the other. Now some said to put the crate in your bedroom for the first night as  they needed to see you and then gradually move the crate downstairs. Well, our Victorian terrace isn't really helpful in accommodating a crate on the landing or stairs so we decided to start as we meant to go on. Crate in dining room, placed where she could see us. And in I popped her. Man alive she cried and sobbed such heart rending yelps my resolve was weakening. After 15 minutes ( as advised by the web ) Intook her calmly outside for a wee, which she did , and then popped her back in. She then yowled, cried, yelped, whimpered and me and Mr 21 didn't look at her or speak to her or anything and after 12 of the longest minutes of my entire life, she went to sleep! Every three hours I took her out for a wee and put her back. 
Night two - much less whimpering and crying and within 5 minutes she was asleep. Again I set my alarm and every three hours I got up and lifted her for a wee. Fast forward a week, I was stretching it to four hours and now she goes out at 10 and we get up at 6 to let her out. It's quite a good routine and although last night she yelled a bit about going in her crate ( we had let her fall asleep on lounge floor, our knee ) for a few nights, she did settle. 
Thought we'd cracked housetraining and almost had three dry days in the house - but no, we had four widdles - even though the back door was open. Sigh. We carry on today. No poops in house yet mind and we are not using puppy pads or newspaper as she is in her crate and will be when I'm at work. If an accident occurs I will simply wash her bedding. I had wondered about leaving her in the kitchen with her crate but for now, she's secure and I'll have peace of mind. Much as it will break my heart - she will be absolutely fine in the morning as she sleeps for most of it currently until I return at lunch. Quick walk and play and back in crate with toys and a Kong toy filled with treats to keep her occupied until one of us gets home. I also have a dog walker on stand by to go check she is ok. As the lad who we got her from said, the dog has to fit in with us and we are in charge. But look at this little face!!!! Staying in charge is hard!!! 
39D0635C-E3EF-4824-9A04-ABE7C5BBDF72.jpg
38075F55-8745-4930-AE7A-92A045509BC6.JPG
All the photos are from her first day with us, aged 8 weeks and two days . Little Miss Bluebell Flowers, we love you so much! 

Lots of love from 
Rachel *besotted* Radiostar xxx 


Ps. As I type this I'm not entirely sure I've not posted about her already! I'm trying out a prototype of typing and adding photos in my 'notes' app and I'm about to go copy and paste in Blogger!! A post about Slimming World should be posted later too..... here I go! 

9 comments:

  1. Aaaaarrrrgh I cannot see the photos now - they show up on the drafts page... back to the drawing board

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see the photos either Rachel.
    It's funny you posted this as I was going to e mail you later and ask how your gorgeous little girl was settling in.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the text but not the photos, sorry!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just going to say the same, I have seen your little cutie on IG so I know how gorgeous she is. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still no photo's I hope you get it sorted. Your puppy sounds fun, glad to see she is becoming used to your rules. It takes time but will be worth it. Can't wait to see photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading the text And the photos will be a bonus when they load.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, can't see any pictures but I just went to your previous post and looked at all the cuteness again! Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff. Lots of work in the beginning but so worth it down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello and welcome to Little Miss Bluebell Flowers, you've hit the Jackpot!!
    Really impressed how you're managing her Rachel, she'll be a dog that's brung up proper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't see the photos, like the others enjoyed the text.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to read my words and respond with your own thoughts. I always try to reply so make sure you pop back to see!