Saturday 20 January 2018

I'm in a Museum Archive!

How did I get old enough to feature in a museum archive?

It's only at work though. They've dug out all the old records at my work...which is also where me and my sisters went to Primary School. I found my entry into the old handwritten register books and I started my school life on 12th January 1976. I was pupil number 1368!

Then we looked through the box of old photos and I found myself on several pictures and instantly I was transported back to my childhood! Well I'm transported back everyday working there - it's not all that different!
Plus look how much it was to buy a school photo in the 1970s - all relative - probably a weeks wage!!

Me






My middle sister ( Harry's mum )


My little sister ( Baby Abbie's nana!! )






On my Primary 1 photo ( they call it Reception class these days ) I'm looking very proud! I'd cut my own fringe ( something I still do 40 years on! Still as badly sometimes! ). That photo is tinged with sadness. Obviously I'm not posting the full because of other people in it, but the little girl sat next to me called Anita, was my first friend at school.   Only one day she didn't come back. Her Daddy had taken her and her sister from their mums house ( I understood later it was because they were estranged ) and drove them all up to Scotland and killed them all by parking up in a remote area and putting a hose from the exhaust into the car. That's never left my memory as such but seeing her made me remember it. Although we were never ever told as children what had happened. It was years later my mum told me.

Anyway happy memories of my school life included being Skittleball champions circa 1980 ( photo of me hair down in a red bib! ) and all the music we did!! Our surname could have been Von Trapp!  That's me with the trumpet!! I think I have changed but people who know me say I have not changed a bit.




One thing I do recall is though, being bullied for being fat. I look at these photos incredulous really because honestly in some I think I look starved and malnourished! ( We weren't!! ) and definitely no bigger than any of the others. As ever, it was one kid.  The day it stopped was the day after school in Skittleball practice, this boy - who was actually a cousin once removed or something ) started with the fatty stuff, I'd had enough, so I chased him round the playground and knocked him to the floor with a punch. Everyone was pointing and laughing. Of course I got hauled in. Massively in trouble. But then my Mum came in and informed everyone what the nasty little shit had been up to all along and that it was good for me because he deserved it. She took no prisoners!! After that there was no more name calling. But looking at these photos I have no idea why he would do that to me. Hateful moron that he was.


Anyway, the main reason I'm blogging right now is because it's that time of year when I do the books! So naturally I'm finding eleventy billion things to do to put it off! A late breakfast next! We are going out tonight to friends, for a Burns Night Supper ( a week early ) but it is the whole shebang. Evening dress a must ( giggling because it's just a group of us in their dining room!! ), we toast inthe haggis with bagpipes and we all recite the poetry. There's a toast to the lassies and a reply to the gents - usually hilarious and much good food and wine ( though not so much of the wine for me this year!! ) and I'm really looking forward to it!

I've to sort the books, cut my fringe!!, do me roots ( rolls eyes ) and do some washing.

Right, can you also believe it's half term in three weeks? That's insane!!!
Oh and a first for me this week. I tried and enjoyed a pickled egg!
Lots of love from
Rachel *look how lovely my lunch was yesterday* Radiostar!




21 comments:

  1. I loved skittle ball,how lovely to look back, my sister has all my mum's photo albums and we don't get to see old photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Just found you whilst bloghopping though I know your name from other blogs, of that I am certain. Talking about fringes: I must look out some old photos of me for my blog (as I've just taken myself back to 10 years old again, so had better show the 10 yr old me) - my mum used to cut my fringe - TOTALLY wonky, and yet she couldn't seem to notice her error! But that was my mum - daft as well as deaf, bless her.

    My stomach flipped when I read about your friend Anita. It is hard to understand what is going on in folk's minds when they do something like that. How sad.

    You can have my share of the world's pickled eggs btw - Y.U.K.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be over to see the 10 year old you! I've been to your blog a few times and commented which is probably where you recognise me from and a lot of other blogs we have in common! X

      Delete
  3. I think it’s entirely reprehensible that you resorted to violence and that you did not resolve this matter by peaceful means. It’s sad that the boy in question was humiliated in this way. On the other hand... YAAYYYY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a dreadfully sad story regarding your school friend. I will never understand how a parent can do that to their children. We had a very similar incident just a few years ago here.

    Look at you though....you little cutie and how brave you were to tackle that bully yourself. I was much older before I had that courage.

    Your lunch looks very yummy indeed. I do love a good salad.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a horrible story but what's worse is it's such a common thing xx

      Delete
  5. Lunch does look delicious. I have really enjoyed seeing your photographs and didn't we all have a wonky fringe at one time or another? Happy memories and you looked so cute! If it's any consolation I was bullied horribly at school for being 'too skinny!'X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no consolation Jules, bullies are just hideous. Xxx

      Delete
  6. Love old pictures in all their shapes and form. A glimpse of a former life. Thanks for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing such lovely photos of you and your sisters. I have two sisters, and I am the middle one. I also have a much older foster brother who is 20 years older than me. My husband is an only child and he cannot relate to how much my siblings mean to me. When we had our first son I said straight away I want another baby and he looked horrified saying "Why? We already have one". I love your little cheeky face in the first one of you, so adorable. How sad about your friend. Men who are estranged, or feel they have been scorned etc often resort to killing themselves and their children don't they? I think its a case of you don't want me so you wont have our kids either. So heart-breaking. What is that with your crisp bread's? It looks like a piece of salmon which is a bit odd, I would love to know. Regards Sue H xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the crispbread I had ham, thinly sliced. It'd never be salmon! I was the same , the minute I held Miss 23 in my arms, I said we need to have another one!

      Delete
  8. Greetings from GEORGIA~
    Love your photos! You are lucky, my mother always cuts my "bangs" (that is what we call them in the USA!)
    Your side notes on your blog are funny, you must be a laugh a minute!
    Your lunch makes me miss the great veggies in England, do you know how lucky you are with the food? I could kill for some bread and butter with Cathedral cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you like me to smuggle you some Cathedral City over??!!! The word 'bangs' makes me laugh!!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely post - funny how a couple of photos can bring back so many memories isn't it. So sad about your friend and her sister, but it does make you think has the world really got any worse or do we just hear more about this sort of thing happening with 24 hour media etc.

    There were loads of music clubs at my primary as well, recorders were always a favourite, but I also had a go at guitar, cello and violin. There was also choir and for some reason country dancing! All good fun. These days they seem to 'ship in' a music teacher once a week, not even the need for a piano playing teacher these days I don't suppose.

    Hope you enjoyed your Burns Night celebrations. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did Country Dancing too. It's a great way to combine listening skills and keeping fit! Our school got rid of its piano years ago!

      Delete
  10. Apart from the poor little girl being killed by her vile and selfish dad, this post has had me roaring with laughter. Sort of. not the bullying thing. Kids are nasty little sods when they want to be, and once one little shite has decided on something and all the little sheep join in and pick on one kid, then it annoys the crap out of me.
    However. I have to admit, I did something vaguely similar. Some bug eyed ugly cow had promised me she'd let me play 'Elastics' at lunchtime (remember that?) when I went out after stuffing myself with hot dinner, she'd changed her mind. I seethed. I went off. I came running down the playground at about 70 mph and with all my strength, pushed her over. She went flying! Yes! Cut knees, tears, the lot. I ran off and hid until some mealy mouthed dinner lady found me and told me off. So not sorry. Even to this day. Nasty kids needed teaching a lesson!
    Your fringe cutting abilities were fabulous!

    xx

    p.a pickled eggs you can keep for yourself!

    p.p.s Am Scottish through marriage with a braw Scottish surname, and by rights should be a Lady of the manor on the shores of Loch Lomond (absolute truth), instead I am just little old me, sitting here in East Anglia, but I shall wish you gladness of your joy of the Great chieftain of the sausage race! Even if it is a tad early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dinner ladies ( or dinner bags as we called them in J4 ( y6 ) were indeed nastier and meaner back in the day! Terrorists they were

      Delete
  11. Should think that boy needed glasses...I was too skinny...strange, but all the old bullies I see now seem to have had troubled lives...karma maybe...how sad about your little friend...that poor mother x

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to read my words and respond with your own thoughts. I always try to reply so make sure you pop back to see!