Saturday 9 May 2020

Bank Holiday Friday the VE edition

VE remembrance day was sunny, warm and bright. Not a cloud in the sky. There was the sound of enjoyment and happiness in the air and the houses looked pretty all done up to the nines. I dug out my Union Jack scarf to adorn my window. There wasn't an official garden tea party for the street but plenty around held celebrations. I mostly thought about my grandparents efforts. They were the lucky ones making it through but I wonder now of the friends they lost. 


I made a very British tea of sausage mash and beans. Although as Mr 23 had requested jacket potatoes, the HG had his mash James Martin style. Where one does not boil one's spuds, but one bakes them instead. Then, whilst swearing profoundly, one scoops out the fluffy larva hot potato into a bowl, add lots of butter and beat with a wooden spoon until creamy. James Martin would probably use more butter than I did but The HG declared the mash delicious!


The iris are showing off now!


I cast on to start a lovely little plain knit in the sunshine. I really like the way this wool is knitting up. It's a silvery grey colour in real life


Using the little National Trust book of scones, I whipped up a half batch - as I am now running very short on self raising flour. The photos do not do them justice - they really were the lightest scones I ever ever made and we enjoyed them with posh strawberry jam and whipped double cream. I did one jam cream and one cream jam to avoid any arguments! I do prefer my cream on top! I watched the Queen - I love her and then the fascinating programme on Captain Tom. The world really does owe him and all those who served:  everything.

I thank them all and I will remember them.

Lots of love from
Rachel *Truly Grateful* Radiostar xxx

Right am tired.

14 comments:

  1. Captain Tom and his like are true heroes, aren't they. I'm glad it's being recognised as the whole 'celebrity' thing fades and one can see the real heroes in life. They won't be forgotten.
    (whispers - I prefer my cream on top too)
    Do you have plain flour and baking powder?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had afternoon tea, in our street at 2pm, which was loads of fun, we put up our Union Jack flag, home made cake and fresh coffee. Your scones look yummy, how good are you to bake half a batch. We have managed to get flour from our local cafe, they are not open for a sitdown, but you can pre-order any of their wonder food and get baking flour, eggs, sugar and milk. Our local bakery sells bread flour and yeast, local business's helping our community, hopefully you may have someone local to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to have a look see around at our local bakeries and farm shops - what a good idea. Your afternoon tea sounded yummy x Coffee goes so well with cake!

      Delete
  3. Ooh them scones, they look finger lickingly good! Love the look of your knitting, I'm always after new yarns, could you tell us what yarn it is please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello - I will check the band but it's one I was gifted a long time ago when my lovely friend's lovely Mum sadly passed away.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a very pleasant day, I have my Dads war medals and I took them out of their box and felt very sad he never used to talk of his war days and now of course it's too late. Your scones look delicious mine always turn out quite heavy and flat but I will keep trying. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Nanna would tell me about the life in the factory - she was a machinist making the parachutes etc but my Grandad in the RAF would never speak of it and the HG says his Grandad wouldn't either. You only have to watch the likes of Saving Private Ryan for example or even the old news reels to realise how awful, truly awful it was. Have you ever been to the Imperial War Museum in Manchester. It is haunting and I do get overwhelmed with emotion in there looking at specifically the letters home from the soldiers and when they do their immersive experience of old recordings. It's a few years since I have been.

      Delete
  5. Love the diplomatic scones, you should work for the United Nations lol. I'm a cream on top person as well. The iris is absolutely stunning. We had a socially distanced get together here which was really nice. Queenie is something else isn't she - I love her. Not 100% sure about the future generations but I'm glad she's been at the helm for as long as she has. Have a lovely Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how much that made me laugh Suzanne - the amount of times me and my friends quote at each other " Just call me Rachel effing Annan of United Nations" after sorting kids out at school or parents etc hahahaha.

      Delete
  6. Your scones look delicious, Rachel. My cake tins are standing empty as I type, so I think I'll bake some more this evening, if I'm not too tired. I've even got some posh jam I could have with them :)
    I must admit, I'm always a little taken aback by the amount of butter James Martin uses in his recipes. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he overdoes it on purpose now! They were really the best ones id made. I barely handled the dough and I do think that was the key. I also just used a glass to cut them out as I couldn't be bothered to look for my proper cutters!

      Delete
  7. The scones look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to read my words and respond with your own thoughts. I always try to reply so make sure you pop back to see!