Sunday 20 January 2019

What sock? What slipper?





National Trust cheese scone recipe. Last of the Christmas cheese with the green bits cut off. Green bits not essential. 

Quite smug with my finger presses! 
















Over halfway through January but it isn’t half a long way to payday on the 91st Jan! I laughed when I saw someone tweet that. Since I decided a few years ago to stop my hatred of January and the long dark dismal days, it goes a lot quicker! Bluebell continues to be hilarious in her daily puppying adventures.
Me and the HG are sat watching Vera talking in our Geordie accents saying, we’ve been there at every opportunity! I have baked this weekend- bread on Saturday which was all eaten on Saturday and a mince and onion plate pie for tea tonight and some jam tarts with the trimmings. I’m currently making a little gandsewn badger - when the timing is correct - this means when Bluebell is asleep and  therefore not helping me and when I’ve  my glasses 
with me.

I don’t k ow if any of you have seen the Versus arthritis tv campaign but it’s really good at portraying the pain it causes. There’s one of a young woman writhing in agony on the bed before getting up and going to work as a teacher. That could be me. Last night, for the first time in aaaages, I was in agony, writing is painful and staying still is painful. The burning pain of bone on bone and the pain down my arm is breathtaking and makes me cry out. I think it’s my own fault for neglecting my physio and eating more sugar of late in the form of biscuits. What I put in my mouth definitely affects my joints - sweeteners affect me, biscuits affect me. I’m going to apply a heat pad soon and more pain relief. Fortunately today I didn’t need to get dressed until way after lunch so didn’t have to struggle into clothes and a bra. 
Sadly, going braless in public is not an option!!! 
I have no idea what else I was going to put down for posterity here but it’s a short working week ahead as I’ve Friday off to go to scotland to stay up up up up in the North near Dalmally. We are going with friends to Portsochanan to celebrate Burns night. Posh frocks and haggis - perfect thing to look forward to! I love haggis! Fingers crossed the journey isn’t treacherous. Ideally I’d like it to be mild and dry until Thursday about 9, then snow like mad and be beautiful until Sunday morning, then mild and dry again for the journey home!! I have to work a day in my holidays for the time off - which to be honest, I do normally anyway!! 

I’m loving catching up with blogs again a bit more regularly. I’m going to attempt to add the bread photos now. 





It looked good! 

It tasted good I was told.


The ham was the one ignored from Christmas- done in my pressure cooker and finished off in the oven. With honey and mustard.  



Right, itsall jumpy and I do not know where I’m up to. 
Lots of love from
Rachel *knackered shoulders* Radiostar xx

12 comments:

  1. So enjoyed this and your pup is gorgeous. Verycovetable! Hope you have a better week healthwise. Happy Burns celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww bless that little monkey.

    I think my invitation to tea on the night you had the mince and onion pie must have got lost in the post....gawd I love mince and onion pie.

    Enjoy your posh do.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried a cortisone shot in the joint? I have bone on bone throughout my ankle and I get a shot about twice a year. It does help. The scones look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That 'it wasn't me, mum' look is very cute!
    I'm really sorry to read that you're in so much pain. Is it easing off a bit now? I do hope so. Sending love.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a sudden yearning for cheese scones!
    Have a happy Burns night party

    ReplyDelete
  6. January is so long, can't believe it's only 21st today, it should so be over! So much lovely baking. I will keep everything crossed you have the weather you want on your trip to Scotland, the fore caste for the weekend is wet, so you could be lucky and get snow, best pack spare pants, just in case you are snowed in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think men invented bras - it certainly wasn't a woman.
    Do your boobs hang low,
    Can you swing 'em too and fro?
    Can you tie them in a knot?
    Can you tie them in a bow?
    Do you get a funny feeling when you bash 'em on the ceiling?
    Do your boobs hang low!
    xx
    Let it all hang out, baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s funny to hear you talking about way up north as it’s only about 80 miles north west from our house! Enjoy your burns supper-there won’t be any haggis in this house on Friday! Safe journey as it’s very cold now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not suffer with arthritis but have a prominent breast bone, I only like underwired bras and they dig in something chronic after a few hours. If I am at home I go braless, luckily I am not too well endowed so it is barely noticeable. Those Puppy Spaniel eyes, I remember them well. Big Pug Eyes are very similar and the wrinkled forehead just adds to the pathos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love January but then I'm not waiting for pay day so I don't care how long a month is haha. Your baking all looks so good and those cheese scones, well a cheeky order definitely has to be put in for next time we have a get together on the beach. Sorry to hear you're suffering with arthritis, book some physio pronto if you know that helps you. Have a lovely weekend with your friends. Are you on poem reciting duty this year? xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your baking looks delicious. I have an arthritic shoulder too but its holding out at the moment. But my knees omg they are soooo bad. Yesterday I had a cortisone and steroid I ejection so I'm waiting for it to start working.
    Hope you had a great weekend away.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to read my words and respond with your own thoughts. I always try to reply so make sure you pop back to see!