Thursday, 8 March 2018

SHOCKING!

Something has been happening to me these last few weeks that's been getting worse for a while. Usually I can guarantee it'll happen in Dunelm as I go upstairs.
I get electric shocks off the banisters. Fortunately there's slightly less of me to make my knees carry up the stairs so I don't need to haul myself up by the arms - good job really, given the current useless state of my upper arms and shoulders. ( yes yes I'm going to get an appointment to see the doctor )
But it doesn't take much, and a painful ZZZZP!! Is felt and I actually hear them.

But it's got worse. At home so far I've had daily shocks off the tv off button - actually seeing blue light coming from the telly to my thumb! The kettle. The light switches. The washer. The car door.  Even the HG if he stands too close. It isn't funny. It really really hurts!
At night when I get undressed, there's audible loud, sustained crackles from my clothes and my hair stands on end like a kid in a tent!

I was beginning to think I was transforming into Carrie from the Stephen King book and I'd soon be able to move things with my mind and bring the school Easter Disco to a catastrophic end.

I think I've worked it out though. I've been shlepping about in some too big for me really, faux furry fluffy slippers that have a plastic sole and I reckon as I've been shuffling across the floors, I reckon I've  been generating enough static electricity for The National Grid to use me as a renewable energy source!

Said slippers are not being worn again - so far, so unzapped!

Lots of love from

Rachel *she's electric* Radiostar xxx

22 comments:

  1. I had exactly the same problem and it took me ages to work out that my slippers were the cause. No problem with their replacements! Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a middle aged problem for me because up until I was 40 I was year round bare footed!

      Delete
  2. Howabout hot gluing some of that non skid material on the soles? You can get your wear out of the slippers and not get zapped.JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion but they are not fit for repair really!

      Delete
  3. I get electric shocks too, even though my clothes are cotton. It happens when it is frosty. My hair gets flat because of the static, I get zapped by the screws on the light switch, sometimes even just passing my hand over it. Unkindest of all, I get little shocks when stroking the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing that a pair of slippers could do so much harm. Thank goodness you were able to establish they were the cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was becoming a nuisance and I'd started turning things on and off!

      Delete
  5. I could laugh but I won't because that happens to me sometimes (not as badly though) and it's really not nice at all. I never thought it was related to what I wore but, actually, thinking about it, it could be as I haven't had any problems since I started wearing home knitted slipper socks instead of molto-cheapo shuffle-slippers from Matalan.

    Hope the doctor manages to help with the arms and shoulders - that doesn't sound nice either. (((hugs)))
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy x I've been wearing my hand knitted socks around the house instead and so far am shock free!

      Delete
  6. I always get a shock from the handrails at Dunelm! Must look at my slippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just pointing out I don't go to Dunelm in my slippers lol xx

      Delete
  7. My youngest daughter and I both suffer from electric shocks, when she was a child she had her lovely long hair cut short, because the shocks were bad when taking her jumpers off. We often when touching jump back and laugh, our partners just think we are strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I feel for you! The HG laughs because it never happens to him!

      Delete
  8. Oh how strange, this has been happening to me for a few weeks now getting shocks of nearly everything even my pets??? and as you say it does hurt. I have not even got any fluffy slippers and were rubber(I think) crocs indoors ?? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's comforting to know, thanks to all the comments, that I am not alone!

      Delete
  9. I feel your pain, literally. I have a housecoat that does the same thing. I can hear it crackle when I take it off and have to wait a couple of minutes before I touch anything to let myself neutralise lol. I'm not throwing it away though, I love it, it's my adult version of a baby comfort blankie! I've never seen a blue light so you must be really wired up. Thinking about it, I'm surprised we didn't set things on fire back when nylon nighties and bed sheets were all the rage. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh raucously! It is a good job really because the fumes from the lead paint released in afore mentioned fire would certainly finish us off!!

      Delete
  10. I get lots of shocks too...especially when it's frosty weather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be because our bodies are working harder to stay warm!

      Delete
  11. Ooooh that sounds painful. I used to get shocks from Roz's old car but none yet with the new one.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are just hot stuff! Between you crackling your electricity and Suzanne's use of the word housecoat (which I've not heard since my mother used to say it a lot in the 70's and early 80's), this post has had me laughing like a total loon! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for leaving me your words. I l totally and utterly love reading what your thoughts are and I will try to always reply.